Thanksgiving Fire Safety
Thanksgiving is a time to relax and celebrate with family, but we wanted to take a moment to remind everyone to exercise caution while preparing Thanksgiving dinner. Statistically, fire departments respond to more residential fire calls on Thanksgiving day than any other day of the year.
Every year, 2,100 residential structures catch fire on Thanksgiving, resulting in 10 deaths, 50 serious injuries, and $28 million dollars in damage. Here are some simple steps that you can take to avoid disaster on your day of relaxation and celebration:
- Don’t leave food unattended while cooking
- Check all smoke detectors before beginning Thanksgiving dinner preparation
- Keep children and pets away from the kitchen
- Keep the kitchen floors unobstructed to avoid tripping
- Don’t use any electrical appliances that have damaged or severed cords (use this as an opportunity to treat yourself to some new kitchen toys!)
- Avoid using deep fryers (even in the back yard, the NFPA discourages ALL use of fryers)
As always, our crews are on call 24/7 365 days of the year, should disaster strike. Please take note of the steps above to protect your home and your family! Relax, kick back, enjoy some football, and give thanks!
On this Thanksgiving, we feel especially thankful for all of YOU, our loyal clients!