Major water or fire damage can leave you feeling helpless over the loss of important family documents and photographs or books. SERVPRO knows that quick mediation is the key to recovering your damaged property.
What can we restore?
- paper documents
- books and magazines
- manuscripts and files
- photographs, films, negatives, and microfiche
- blueprints and maps
How do we do it?
We use innovative vacuum freeze-drying techniques. Our vacuum freeze-drying process is the only method approved by the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) and the General Services Administration (GSA).
With major water damage documents can we exposed to mold and bacteria. SERVPRO uses a gamma irradiation process to safely and effectively sterilize your documents. We are also able to digitize your valuable documents and photographs. It will save you space allow for easy and fast access.
What is a sump pump? What happens when it fails you?
Hundreds of Michigan residents are finding out just how important it is to have a battery back up for your sump pump in the case of a power outage. After the severe weather we experienced this weekend many basements have been left with standing water.
A sump pump eliminates moisture and prevents flooding by collecting excess water from drains and pumping it out and away from the building. You will find a sump pump sitting in a specially constructed pit that sits lower than the basement floor in homes that are susceptible to major rain and snow fall.
If your pump stops working, water could get into your basement and foundation walls. This may cause mold and mildew to grow and if enough water builds up, the basement can flood.
How do you know your sump pump is working?
You can check your sump pump tow different ways. Two separate plugs are attached to the unit. Unplug them both and then plug in only the one for the pump. If the pump does not immediately turn on then something is wrong. Your other option is to add water and wait to see if the pump turns on and properly evacuates the water.
Family Escape Plan
Do you have an escape plan if a fire happens at your home?
Consider these tips to create a plan:
- Walk through your home and inspect all possible exits and escape routes. Households with children should consider drawing a floor plan, showing 2 exits of each room (door and window)
- A closed door may slow the spread of smoke, heat and fire. Install smoke alarms in every sleeping room, outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home
- Everyone in the household must understand the escape plan. When you walk through your plan, check to make sure the escape routes are clear and doors and windows can be opened easily.
- Choose an outside meeting place (i.e. neighbor's house, a light post, mailbox, or stop sign) a safe distance in front of your home where everyone can meet after they've escaped. Make sure to mark the location of the meeting place on your escape plan.
- If there are infants, elderly, or family members with mobility limitations, make sure that someone is assigned to assist them in the fire drill and in the event of an emergency. Assign a backup person too, in case the designee is not home during the emergency.
- Once you're out, stay out! Under no circumstances should you ever go back into a burning building. If someone is missing, inform the fire department dispatcher when you call. Firefighters have the skills and equipment to perform rescues.
Having an escape plan set in place- JUST IN CASE- can be life saving and beneficial.
If you have a fire at your home, call SERVPRO of Lapeer to take care of the disaster.
Keeping that Bedroom Door Shut
Many children like sleeping with their doors open in fear of the boogeyman hiding under there bed. However this picture shows why it is so important for bedroom doors to stay shut at night time. A shut door can keep out smoke and eventually fire and save a life.
- Routine at home fire drills are a great way to keep your kids ready and aware. Kids practice them at school, why wouldn't you teach them at home?
Stop, Drop, and Roll is universal. Also teach them to stay low, and how to check with the back of their hand to see if a door is warm. Pick an easy place outside like the swing set for everyone to meet.
For more tips, check out this article from the National Fire Prevention Association on creating a home fire escape plan.
-Smoke alarms should be in every bedroom and properly maintained.
As always, our crews are on call 24/7 365 days of the year, should disaster strike.
What does SERVPRO of Lapeer and Grand blanc have to offer?
SERVPRO of Lapeer & Grand Blanc is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
Our professionally trained technicians are waiting for your call. With the most current and advanced drying equipment we can have your home or business on the way to recovery in a matter of hours. While the dry out process is being executed, we will carefully pack up and store all of your belongings that have not been affected and contain the damaged areas to keep it from spreading any further.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help
Call Today - 810.664.1000
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Lapeer & SERVPRO of Grand Blanc
SERVPRO of Lapeer & Grand Blanc specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
- WRT - Water Damage Restoration Technician
- RRRP - Lead-Based Paint Activities and Renovation
- SRT - Fire & Smoke Damage Restoration Technician
- ASD - Applied Structural Drying Technician
- IICRC Certified Firm
Christmas Tree Hazards
Every year more and more families are moving away from the fake pre-lit Christmas trees and gravitating back towards the real thing.
Real trees are beautiful, but as with most beautiful things in life, they can be dangerous. Take a look at these guid lines to keep your family and home safe.
-When shopping for that perfect tree, look for vibrant green needles that do not break easily. If a tree is already easily shedding its needles than it is likely not a freshly cut tree and more susceptible to catch fire.
- Make sure that there is always water in the tree base to prevent the tree from drying out and make sure the tree is placed far away from any heat sources like candles or fire places.
-We all get tired at the end of the day and forget to do things but be sure to make unplugging your Christmas tree a part of your nightly routine.
-Lastly, pay attention to what Christmas lights you purchase. Any lights you use outdoors need to be labeled suitable for outdoor use.
Carpet Cleaning before the Holidays
It is that wonderful yet stressful time of year when all families gather together to celebrate the season and enjoy a really nice meal together. If you are the one hosting said meal, your more than likely working double time to get your house ready. Carpet stains or grungy looking carpet is always an eye sore so let SERVPRO of Lapeer help you out with our professional carpet cleaners.
-Some stains are extremely persistent and cannot be removed without professional attention. We use powerful cleansers and state-of-the-art techniques and equipment to remove even set-in soils and spatter.
-Deep-down dirt and grime can damage carpet fibers and cause rugs and carpet to wear out more quickly than they should. Regular carpet cleaning removes contaminants that cause damage and discoloration and extends the useful life of your carpet.
Call SERVPRO of Lapeer today for a quote.
Winterizing your Home
It has been the coldest November Michigan has seen in a very long time. Make sure your home is protected for the long winter ahead by paying attention to a few simple but important things.
-Cleaning your gutters and assessing your roof for any loose, cracked or bending shingles can save you from a leaky roof and major repairs in the middle of winter.
-Protect your deck by sweeping any fallen leaves and apply a fresh coat of sealant. Keep your outdoor furniture in good working condition by cleaning and storing it in a dry basement or garage.
- keep your heating bill down by sealing all doors and windows that have gaps.
- Most importantly, keep your pipes safe! Pipes are most likely to freeze in the areas of your house that heat does not reach, such as the garage or attic. Make sure these areas are well insulated and always keep your house above 55 degrees. Keeping the garage door shut at all times is also a major factor in protecting your pipes.
Refer to this article for more great tips and tricks to keep your home safe this winter.
As always SERVPRO of Lapeer is available should disaster ever strike your home.
How to Reduce Your Heating Bill With Winter
Keep Your Furnace System Clean
SERVPRO of Lapeer is not just a restoration company. We specialize in cleaning as well. If your furnace gets dirty it has to work extra hard, using extra power and possibly still performing less than a clean unit would. Our specialists can come out and properly clean your duct system and evaluate the dirt buildup on your blower blades. Excessive build up on your blades can severely decrease efficiency.
Check your Homes Insulation
Insulation in the walls of your attic actually play a big part in keeping your home warm. Allot of cool air can be trapped up there, causing the furnace to work double time to heat your house. Make sure that the vents in your attic are clear so air can easily flow where it is needed.